Monday, May 21, 2012

TRANSPLANT- DAY 1

HICKMAN.

My day started off at 5 am. My mom and I were at the hospital by 6 am ready for my procedure. I got a Hickman Catheter inserted into my chest. For those of you who don't know exactly what that is here is a link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hickman_line

The morning was slow to say the least. I was set to start at 630am but as we all know, HOSPITALS SUCK and are always running late.

To say my veins are exhausted would be an understatement. Getting an IV in these arms is like wishing for rain in Arizona, it hardly ever happens. After 2 tries, FINALLY! I was taken back for the procedure at 9am (SO LATE). i was put on an operating X-ray table. I was draped from head to toe and my neck was first Ultra Sounded. At this point i was not sedated, just given some meds to take me to "lala land". They then made an incision in my neck and catheterized a tube into the main vein in my neck. The end of the line comes out in my chest. The incision in the neck is then sewed up. So at this point i have  a line that comes out of my chest and splits off into three lines. This will be used to administer all Chemo, draw blood, and most importantly, the transplant! I left the hospital feeling OK, got some of my ducks in a row, ran some errands and little did i know it was because i was still numbed up. By 5 o'clock i was in some pain. It hurts to talk, move, walk, eat. It was flat out hurts to move. BUT OOPPPSSS I FORGOT TO TELL MY DOC I WAS OUT OF PAIN MEDS. So, who saves the day other then Zach? yup. Thank god he had a few extra to help my out for the night.


So yes. I'm in pain, this sucks, its been the most painful day yet (aside from the biopsy with NO sedation), but i can take it. bring it on!

Helpful little fact! My mommy in law turned me onto this website
http://stupidcancer.com/
it was formerly imtooyoungforthis.com and there is really a lot of useful information for any young people with cancer.

Dedication: It seems fitting to dedicate my first day to my love, Victor. I mean when it all comes down to it, i wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you. You know my fear of doctors and how stubborn i am and if you hadn't walked me into the ER the night you did things would have turned out a lot differently... your the absolute love of my life. Your the best man i know and there is no way i could do this without you.  There are not enough words for me to describe the love i feel in my heart for you. I know i tell you often how much i love you but i don't think you truly realize the depths i would swim for you.  You are the best father to Liam that i could have ever asked for. You are raising him to be just as kind and gentle hearted as you are ( his tough guy act is just that, an act). I hope one day he looks up to you and realizes, you saved his mom, if it wasn't for his daddy, this strong brave loving man, i wouldn't be here. You have guided me through this journey and tried to keep my spirits up. You have forced me to eat when food was the last thing on my mind, you've carpooled me everywhere and anywhere i need to go, you've watched me be tortured and put through pain, you've watched me cry and cried with me you truly have been more then i could have ever asked for. You Victor, are my Angel.
I love you.











Tomorrow, Day 2- Chemo.


xO
Mel


1 comment:

  1. It's so amazing when you have a love like that its special and something to never let go of. When I first found out u had cancer I didn't know what to think. I hadn't spoke to you in years. But I immediately put you in my prayers and within days I went to donate.my hair in dedication. To you. I love you and pray you get through this.

    ReplyDelete